- Serves 3-4
This tasty recipe is a delectable combination of smoky grilled asparagus, sweet caramelized onions, creamy avocado, peppery watercress, juicy tomatoes, spicy radishes, refreshing lime, and nutty quinoa. All of these ingredients meld together to create a harmonious balance of textures and flavors that will have you going back for seconds!
This recipe is featured on my blog for A Harmony Healing's spring recipes. —Shelley Alexander
extra virgin olive oil or melted organic clarified butter
large white onion—peeled and cut into ¼ inch slices
Unrefined sea salt
sherry or raw apple cider vinegar
filtered or spring water
stalks thin asparagus—bottom portion of stalk removed
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
fresh lime juice
red globe radishes—thinly sliced and julienned
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil or clarified butter over medium heat. Add sliced onions and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of sea salt and vinegar. Cook onions over medium heat for 20-30 minutes until golden brown in color, stirring occasionally so they don’t stick or burn. While the onions are cooking make the quinoa. Once the onions are done cooking, remove from heat, cover and keep warm until the quinoa is done cooking.
- Rinse and drain quinoa. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil or clarified butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan with lid until hot but not smoking. Add drained quinoa, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of sea salt, and cook over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Add 2 cups of filtered water to the quinoa and the bay leaf. Bring quinoa to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and cook quinoa for around 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Remove from heat, stir in caramelized onions, cover, and set aside while you cook the asparagus.
- Toss cleaned asparagus with 1 tablespoon of olive oil or melted clarified butter. Sprinkle asparagus with sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place a grill pan over high heat and get the pan hot but not smoking. Add asparagus in a single layer turn down heat to medium-high and cook asparagus on one side for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Turn asparagus over and continue cooking for an additional 2-3 minutes until brown and tender. Remove cooked asparagus from heat and cool slightly.
- Cut asparagus into bite size pieces and add to quinoa. Remove skin and seed from avocado and cut avocado into small cubes. Toss with lime juice and immediately stir into quinoa. Stir diced tomatoes, watercress leaves, and radishes into quinoa, stir together and taste. Add additional sea salt, black pepper, and lime juice to taste if needed. Serve immediately.