If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My roommate's Italian mother started throwing summer's strawberries into her nightly bruschetta. The recipe slowly morphed into a sophisticated blend of sweet produce with classic Italian flavors. A hint of reduced balsamic glaze, fresh basil, and sharp raw garlic all add layers of flavor. —Cheazza
Food52 Review: Summer's flavorful bounty boldly shows off in this recipe which pairs sweet, juicy strawberries with flavorful vine-ripened tomatoes. Don't settle for grocery store tomatoes for this dish -- hit a local farmers market, or better yet, raid a friend's garden if you don't have one of your own. The reduced balsamic vinegar sauce adds a tangy kick to the bruschetta. Serve this light appetizer with a crisp, fruity rosé and you have a perfect combination for a hot summer night. —Diane Hartford
pound fresh strawberries
ripe Jersey tomatoes, or plum tomatoes if you can't find Jersey
clove of garlic, minced
sprig fresh basil
cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
fresh, crusty baguette, sliced and toasted
pound full-fat ricotta (optional)
- Rub your serving bowl with your peeled and smashed garlic clove. Mince the clove and throw it in the bowl.
- Add your balsamic vinegar and sugar to a small pot. Stir to combine, and bring to a slow boil. Immediately reduce to a simmer for about 10 minutes, until you have a thick syrup.
- Finely dice your strawberries and tomatoes and add to the serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chiffonade your basil leaves, reserving some for garnish.
- Once the balsamic syrup has thickened, fold it gently into your bruschetta mix. Reserve some for garnish.
- Lay your crostini across a plate. Pile the bruschetta on your toasted crostini, and top with leftover basil and a drizzle of syrup. If you're feeling indulgent, first put a dollop of ricotta cheese on each crostini.
- Enjoy as an appetizer, or an accompaniment to a light lunch.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Tomato Showstopper