Author Notes: This dish was born the other evening, using grilled zucchini and tomatoes from the garden. I noticed the pack of bacon in the fridge had an uneven number of pieces, so I thought it was important to even that out and dice a slice to put in the salad! I served this with grilled chicken breast, brined first and then marinated after. This salad is so versatile; for instance, you could swap the basil for cilantro, lemon for lime, and add avocado. I was going to add corn, but as it came off the grill, and I shucked it, it just begged to be eaten off the cob with butter, salt, pepper and a dash of smoked paprika. —Blixie
Serves: 2, as a side
zucchini, halved and grilled
handful basil leaves
piece cooked bacon
teaspoons fruity olive oil
sea salt, to taste
fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Cut each tomato in to eight wedges. Put in a medium bowl.
- Slice the grilled zucchini halves into 1/4 inch slices, add to the bowl.
- Chiffonade/slice the basil leaves thinly, and add them to the zucchini and tomatoes.
- Squeeze the lemon half over the tomatoes, zucchini, bacon, and basil.
- Drizzle the olive oil over everything
- Add salt and pepper, and toss.
- Enjoy! This tastes even better after sitting for about a half an hour, at room temp.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe