If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fire up the grill and enjoy this simple but oh so flavorful recipe for Beef and Vegetable Shish Kabobs. For step-by-step photos go to: http://www.icancookthat.org/2011/04/shish-kabobs-with-rice.html —I Can Cook That
- 3 pints cherry tomatoes
- 30 pearl onions, peeled
- 2 green bell peppers
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 2 pints whole mushrooms (cremini or button)
- 1 zucchini
- 2 summer squashes
- 5 pounds top sirloin steak, cubed
- 10 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 5 cups long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 2/3 cups red wine (table wine will do)
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 6 to 8 drops tabasco sauce
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a pot (salt through tabasco sauce)
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- While waiting for the marinade to cool, prepare your veggies. Cut the peppers into 1 inch pieces. Cut the zucchini and summer squash into thin slices, discarding the ends. Wash the mushrooms with a damp cloth to remove excess dirt. Peel the pearl onions. Add the peppers, zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, pearl onions, and tomatoes to a one gallon ziplock bag (you may need two bags for the vegetables).
- Place the meat in a separate one gallon ziplock bag. Split the cooled marinade equally between the bags.
- Allow to marinate for 4 hours or ideally overnight.
- To prepare the meal, soak your wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes if using wooden skewers.
- To prepare the rice, bring 10 cups of stock to a boil. Add 5 cups of rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover, stirring occasionally until all the stock is absorbed. This is a very basic rice because the marinade will add the flavor.
- The skewers should be cooked on a grill for 10 to 15 minutes, rotating the skewers half way through, or until desired degree of doneness.
- While the kebabs are cooking, take the leftover marinade and bring to a boil.
- To serve, pour cooked marinade over a serving of rice. Top with a vegetable and a meat skewer.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish