Author Notes: Aside from the vinaigrette, a trip to the farmer's market today supplied us with all the produce we needed to make this salad. Ground cherries have a short harvesting season here, and we love the sweet taste and melt-in-your-mouth feel to these lovely little beauties. They work beautifully in this salad. I keep the vinaigrette simple so all the vegetables get to shine. —Bevi
Makes: 4 portions
cup olive oil
juice of one small lime
zest of the lime
sea salt and ground pepper to taste
ears grilled corn
cup husked whole ground cherries (see below)
cup cucumber, quartered lengthwise, deseeded, and chopped
tablespoons basil, cut into a fine chiffonade
tablespoons shallot, finely minced
teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced finely (add more if you prefer)
- Wash the ground cherries in their husks. I have better luck removing the husks if they are moistened. Pinch the base of the husk away from the cherry - it should slide off easily.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by combining the olive oil, lime juice, lime zest and salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Place the grilled corn, ground cherries, cukes, basil, shallot, and jalapeño into a medium sized serving bowl and mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Add the vinaigrette, mix all ingredients, and chill in the refrigerator.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Cooked Over a Fire
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegan Recipe