If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Prior to making this salad I believed I did not like raw kale. That was before. Before the crisp spinach, sweet apple, and lightly herbal mint in this salad won me over. Before I learned the trick to raw kale is slicing it thin and dressing it up with flavorful dressings and toppings. The kale lends an earthy note that balances out the sweetness of the green apple perfectly, and the creme fraiche is the perfect accompaniment to the slightly sharp chives in the dressing. —littlemarketkitchen
Serves 2 large portions or 4 small
- 3 cups Loose baby spinach
- 2 cups Kale, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Mint leaves
- 1 Green apple
- 1/2 cup Sliced, slivered, or chopped almonds
- 1/4 Lemon
- 2 tablespoons Creme Fraiche
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Rough chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons Rough chopped mint leaves
- 1 Lemon's juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- Toast the almonds- add almonds to a dry frying pan and place over medium heat, stirring often to cook almonds evenly. They take a while to start toasting but once they begin to turn golden they'll all toast pretty quickly, so keep an eye on your pan and keep moving the almonds around. Remove from heat when toasted and set aside.
- Combine all dressing ingredients in food processor or blender and blend until mint and chive are well chopped and all ingredients are well incorporated. This took about 2 minutes in my food processor.
- Slice the mint thin and combine with the kale and spinach in a large bowl. Cut the apple into small pieces, I cut mine into matchsticks an then halved the matchsticks, but you could also do 1/4" cubes. Squeeze the 1/4 lemon over the apple pieces so they will not brown.
- Add the apple to the bowl with the spinach, mint, and kale, and toss to combine. Top with drizzled dressing, then almonds.
- Optional additional toppings could include gorgonzola (I liked this, but S did not), goat cheese, dried cranberries, sliced strawberries, or thinly sliced cucumber.