Author Notes: This is a recipe I came across in a book about 15 years ago, and over the years I have modified it so much that its a favorite that no one else seems to be able to make! Its a healthy, tasty, gluten free option for dessert or snack time.
It's sooo good! —karine
Makes: 24 cupcakes
teaspoons Vanilla (I use pure)
cup Brown sugar
cup Cocoa powder
cup Oatmeal or Coconut (optional)
- Soak the quinoa in lots of water for 3-5 minutes. Then wash and rinse quinoa few times to get fully rinsed (or it will have a bitter taste).
- Bring quinoa and 1 1/3 cups of water to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low for 8 minutes.
- Turn off heat and leave covered for extra 8 minutes. Then fluff quinoa with a fork and set aside to allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease muffin pans (24) or 2 x 8" cake pans.
- Mix the milk, eggs and vanilla. Add 2 cups of the cooked quinoa, honey and butter and blend until really smooth, no chunks (works real good with food processor).
- Mix brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in bowl. Add to liquid mixture, blend for 1 minute.
- Put batter into muffin tins or cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center of muffin comes out clean. Let cool down, then enjoy!!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Quinoa Recipe