If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This muffin transforms the scents and comforts of the holidays into muffin form. Don't let the long ingredient list deter you– it's filled with fragrant spices that make this muffin warm and delicious! Citrus tang comes from 4 delicious sources– the amount of triple sec may seem trivial, but it packs a great kick, so definitely include it if you have it on hand. The combination of citrus and spices brings to mind cozy Christmas morning breakfasts. And with just two bowls, you can capture the essence of a holiday feast, without the sink full of dirty dishes! —Abby Reisner
Makes 12 muffins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, plus 3 Tbsp
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups orange marmalade (prefer Smucker's natural)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, plus 1 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from 1 to 2 oranges)
- 2 teaspoons triple sec
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray twelve-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine 3 tablespoons light brown sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest in a small bowl. Using fingers, mix until combined and fragrant. Set aside.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and gently fold using a rubber spatula until just combined. The batter will be lumpy– don't overmix! Gently fold in dried currants.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups, filling each to just below the top. You may have a bit of leftover batter. Sprinkle with the topping from step 1 and bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in muffin tin on wire rack for 5 minutes and then transfer muffins to rack to cool for about 10 minutes. Serve warm. Enjoy!