Author Notes: I'm trying to take lunch from home more this year, so I'm always looking for healthy and interesting recipes for brown bag lunches that stand up well to being held at room temperature. This recipe was inspired by a recipe in Molly Wizenberg's A Homemade Life for Cauliflower with Salsa Verde, and I added roasted summer squash for flavor and texture and cooked beans for protein. —Savour
For the Salsa Verde
whole pickled jalapeños in escabeche (I like Embasa brand)
tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
cloves garlic, minced
tablespoons lime juice
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the Salad
whole yellow crookneck summer squash, cut into bite sized pieces. (Zucchini can be substituted)
ounces cauliflower florets, in bite sized pieces
tablespoons olive oil
cup cooked cranberry beans
- Combine all ingredients for Salsa Verde. Season to taste, and set aside to let the flavors combine.
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Toss squash and cauliflower in olive oil. You want each piece to be lightly coated in oil.
- Spread vegetables on a cookie sheet in a single layer, sprinkle generously with salt and roast until browned and soft — 20-30 minutes. Let cool.
- Combine beans and roasted vegetables with salsa verde. Serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Brown Bag Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best New Year's Resolution Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Beans