If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We had a bunch of left over pears from making jam this summer, so we decided to just can them. And then we thought that the syrup plus a few slices would make an excellent cocktail... and it did!
The cocktail recipe is really to taste, so mix the ingredients to your palette!
Can the pears in the summer/early fall and let sit for a few weeks. Makes a great gift with a cocktail recipe card attached. —okadots
Makes (6) 8oz wide mouth canning jars
Canned Vanilla Pears
- 2 pounds Pears (we used Bartlet, but any thin skinned pear will do)
- 4 cups Water
- 4 cups Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1 cup Bourbon (optional)
Cocktail (recipe is for 2 cocktails)
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 3 ounces Vodka
- splashes Club soda
- 1 jar of Canned Vanilla Pears
- sprigs Rosemary for garnish (optional)
- To make the canned pears: Sterilize jars and seals - submerg in boiling water for 5 minutes
- Peel and quarter the pears. Stack the pears in sterilized jars until jar is about half full.
- Combine the sugar, water, vanilla and bourbon in a medium pot on the stove. Bring to simmer and let simmer until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour hot simple syrup over the pears, leaving a quarter inch at the top.
- Process the jars for 10 minutes in boiling water. Make sure the seal pops!
- To make the cocktail: Pour syrup into small pot and add rosemary. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes, then discard the rosemary. Let cool.
- Once syrup has cooled, put vodka, syrup and ice into a shaker.
- Slice pears and place into glass
- Strain over ice into 2 rocks glasses.
- Add a splash of Club soda to fill glass and garnish with additional rosemary sprigs.