If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Smooth and silky colourful risotto a filling side dish that will warm your guests heart. Deceptively luxurious without the calories...win win —Marisa R
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil or EVOO
- 1 small onion, peeled finely chopped
- 1 cup Carnaroli or Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup short grain brown rice, rinsed & drained
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups butter nut squash, peeled, seeded and diced small
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto, recipe follows or store bought
- 1 teaspoon ground coarse black pepper
- 6 cups hot chicken broth (vegetable can be substituted)
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano cheese (parmegiano can
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Sauté onion in oil on med. heat in a med. size saucepot until onions begin to become translucent. Add brown rice stir to coat, toasting for 1-2min. Add white rice and repeat process, stirring continuously so that rice does not stick to bottom. Add wine, increase heat to #6 or #7 until wine begins to simmer stirring frequently until wine incorporates into rice. Begin to ladle in broth approx. 1cup at a time stirring until liquid begins to absorb into rice and more is needed. Adjust heat if rice begins to absorb liquid too quickly. After 2nd cup is absorbed tip in squash and add more liquid following the previous steps until all of it is finished and rice is cooked al dente (has a bite). When rice is cooked to your desired texture, readjust for seasoning, stir in cheese, butter and just before serving stir in pesto. *Pesto is added at serving time to prevent from turning black from the heat of the rice and for optimum flavour* Enjoy with love!
- Basil Pesto 1 cup fresh washed basil leaves 1/4 cup EVOO 3 tbsp. parmesan cheese or pecorino romano 1/8 cup toasted pine nuts (can be omitted for allergies) Puree all ingredients in a food processor. Drizzle in more EVOO if too thick.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side