If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Mediterranean warm pepper pesto sauce is fused with an Asian flavoured grain salad. Luxury without the calories! —Marisa R
Grain & Legume Mix
- 1 cup short grain brown rice (or white)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup each cooked mung beans & brown lentils
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1" ginger, peeled, minced
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 basil leaves, finely sliced or (Thai Basil) or chiffonade
- Bring broth to a boil add rice. Cook for approx. 20min until there is still some chew, season to taste. Drain and set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp EVOO, garlic, 1/2 of white ends of onion, jalapeño and ginger to a preheated medium size skillet and cook for 2 min. on medium heat. Add rice (should be approx 2 cups) to skillet along with mung beans and lentils, season to taste. Saute for 3-5min to heated through. Then gently stir in basil all of the green stems of the onions. Turn off the heat.
- Serving: spread pepper pesto onto plate and top with grain & legumes. Garnish with herbs.
Red Pepper Pesto
- 1 1/2 diced red pepper, cored & seeded
- 1 jalapeno, cored, seeded & minced
- 1 ripe red tomato, diced
- 2 green onions, chopped fine (white & green part separated)
- 1/3 cup toasted almonds, peel on
- 3-4 basil leaves or (Thai basil), finely sliced (chiffonade)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, chopped
- Meanwhile in a medium skillet heat 2 tbsp oil and add 1 garlic clove and remaining white ends of green onion, sauté until softened and fragrant approx. 1 min. Add peppers and cook for 5 min until they begin to soften add tomato and continue cooking another 3-5min until all vegetables are softened, season to taste.
- Place in processor with toasted almonds and basil, start machine. Pour 2 tbsp EVOO through feeding tube and continue pureeing, mixture will thicken and have some texture.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side