If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I brought this dish to a neighbor’s Thanksgiving dinner a few years ago. It’s a crunchy, tart, and autumnal counterpoint to the richness of the “traditional” Thanksgiving feast. Since then we’ve discovered how well it accompanies pork chops and roasts -- and not bad as a main dish for Sunday night supper! —ChefJune
Food52 Review: This recipe went great with grilled pork tenderloin! I loved the crunchy texture, which was a nice departure from the typical softer version. I would definitely make this again, though I would halve the bacon and gorgonzola because I felt it overpowered the cabbage and dressing. It should be noted that my father, a red cabbage enthusiast, thought it was perfect and would not change a thing. —EmilyS1220
Makes: 6 to 8 servings
pound thick-cut smoked bacon (I use Nueske’s)
cup extra-virgin olive oil (I use a fruity Spanish one)
cup red wine vinegar (I like Heinz)
tablespoons clover honey, warmed
teaspoon finely chopped garlic
teaspoon each coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
cups finely shredded red cabbage (you’ll need a good-sized head)
ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese (not dolce)
- In a large sauté pan, brown and crisp bacon. Drain on paper towels. Roughly chop bacon and set aside. Pour off 1/4 cup bacon fat and whisk together with the olive oil, vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Save remaining bacon fat for another use.
- Clean the sauté pan. Pour the dressing into the pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add cabbage. Stir and toss until just warmed through. Add bacon and toss to combine. Put everything into a warmed serving dish and top with the crumbled gorgonzola.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side