If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Many have told me the taste is exquisite! It has been tweaked a few times, but I think I now have found what I was looking for. —Rhonda
Sweet Red Onions, Beef Stock, Sherry, Brown Sugar, Cheese, French Bread
- 2 tablespoons Butter, salted or non
- 2 sweet onions, sliced thinly
- 5.5 water
- 2 Beef Stock
- 6 slices of French Bread slathered in garlic butter
- 1.5 tablespoons Sherry, optional
- 1 clove of fresh garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons thyme, fresh or dry
- 2 cups Cheese of your choice! I use a mix of swiss & cheddar
- 6 Broiler proof bowls
- 1 pinch Brown sugar
- Melt butter in large pot over medium heat and cook onions, stirring frequently, until golden, about 12-15 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and thyme and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are browned and tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in water, brown sugar and Beef stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring . Reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered 8 minutes. Then stir in the sherry.
Arrange 6 broiler-proof bowls on baking sheet. Ladle soup into the bowls, then top with a pc. of garlic bread and load cheese on top. Broil 1 minute or until cheese is melted &/or lightly browned.