If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is adapted from a recipe my mom's best friend created. I make it to jumpstart any diet because it's filling and good for you. —Emilie
- 2 whole chicken breasts, bone in and skin on
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 cup chopped celery leaves and ribs
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 head cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 large jar salsa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 cups frozen vegetables
- 2 teaspoons cumin, or more to taste
- 3 splashes Cholula, or more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Cover the chicken with water, add onion, celery and leaves, pinch of salt, peppercorns if desired, and a pat of butter (don't ask me why, my mom always did). Stew chicken until done.
- Allow to cool and remove skin. Shred chicken.
- Add chicken and stock to large pot. Add salsa and seasoning.
- Add thawed vegetables. I usually use corn, green beans, and peas that I've frozen from the farmer's market, but you can use supermarket frozen or even canned vegetables. Use any combination of veggies you like. It's adaptable!
- Add shredded cabbage and simmer soup for at least 30 min. Taste and add Cholula or other hot sauce as desired.
- If I'm not dieting, it's good with tortilla strips on top. I also stir in some fresh cilantro before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best New Year's Resolution Dish