If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe satisfies my love for colorful food, tangy and bright flavors while incorporating a little bit of decadence with the peppery candied nuts. It is a beautiful side dish that is easy to prepare, impressive to feast with the eyes and is gluten free and vegan too! —Kate_Lewis
Peppery Candied Walnuts
- 1 tablespoon Butter*
- 3 tablespoons Organic brown sugar
- 1 ounce Brandy
- 1 teaspoon Pink Peppercorns (smashed)Melt butter and brown sugar together at medium high heat and stir.
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- Melt butter and brown sugar together at medium high heat and stir.
- Once they start to bubble slightly, add the brandy, salt and peppercorns, toss in the nuts and stir to coat.
- Continue to stir the mixture until there isn’t any liquid left in the pan and the nuts begin to clump. Transfer candied nuts to a silpat or non stick surface to cool.
Sweet and Tangy Purple Cabbage : 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- 2 tablespoons Fig balsamic viegar (or whatever you have on hand)
- 1 Small onion (cut in half and thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil or butter*
- 2 Medium carrots (cut into matchsticks)
- 4 cups Purple cabbage
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- Soak the raisins in the balsamic vinegar while prepping all veggies. If your raisins have not plumped sufficiently, you may heat on the stove slightly until they come to a simmer. Remove immediately and reserve for the end of the cabbage recipe.
- Cook onion slices in 1- 2 tbl oil/margarine* until translucent on medium high heat. Then add salt and brown sugar. Stir every so often until onions caramelize to a nice golden brown
- Then add carrots and stir to incorporate. Remove onions and carrots to stop cooking once the carrots have are slightly soft.
- Put all cabbage into the same hot pan.
- Add the water to steam cabbage and stir to assure nothing is burning. Just after the structure of the cabbage softens and the color changes slightly (2 minutes,) add the apple cider vinegar.
- Add the rest of the ingredients such as the carrots, onions, and raisins. Serve immediately topped with the candied walnuts.
- * This recipe was made using organic sugar, a vegan margarine. Feel free to use whatever you have on hand.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Most Impressive Dinner Party Side