If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was watching football this weekend and noticed all the players, cheerleaders and refs wearing pink...pink gloves, socks, hats,and ribbons. I started thinking about "pink foods" but couldn't come up with any savory dishes that were pink so I created this recipe. My contribution to Breast Cancer Awareness Month. —Bubba Mac
Serves: 4 as an entree or 6 as a first course
cup chopped leeks (white part only)
tablespoons unsalted butter
cup peeled and diced beets (must be red...duh!)
cups homemade chicken stock...or vegetable
cups Arborio rice
cup white wine
cup heavy cream
cup grated Parmesan Cheese + more for passing
tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
kosher salt to taste
- Combine diced beets with stock and simmer until beets are just cooked but still firm.
- Remove beets and set aside. Keep stock on heat and maintain a steady simmer.
- Melt butter in large pot...the larger the surface area the better..and add leeks. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Saute leeks until soft but don't allow to brown.
- Add rice to butter and leeks, stirring to coat well and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add white wine and cook until wine is absorbed.
- Add the cooked diced beets.
- Add the simmering stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently to prevent the rice from sticking. After each 1/2 cup is almost absorbed, add another 1/2 cup of stock.
- After 16 to 18 minutes when rice is tender but still firm to the tooth, remove from the heat and stir in the cream, Parmesan cheese, parsley and remaining stock and stir to combine.
- Depending on the color you may want to add an additional tablespoon or two of cream to achieve the desired shade of pink. Taste and add salt if desired.
- Serve immediately passing additional Parmesan cheese.