Author Notes: Simple but unbelievably delicious, refreshing, and addicting. Lime and cream cheese were meant to go together. —Cynthia Chen McTernan
Food52 Review: This icing was worth breaking down and buying a Microplane zester for (albeit a clearance one from Target). The lime-y flavor was great but not overpowering. I essentially used the cupcakes I baked for this recipe as frosting vehicles -- arguably the best way to eat cupcakes. The recipe is very easy. I highly recommend it. —Rachel
Makes: enough frosting for about a dozen cupcakes if frosted; about a half-dozen if piped.
ounces cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese, softened
tablespoon butter, softened
cups confectioners' sugar
teaspoon lime juice, or more depending on resulting thickness of the frosting
teaspoon lime zest
- If using an electric mixer, simply combine all the ingredients and beat until fluffy and smooth.
- If making by hand, cream together cream cheese and butter until very smooth. It will help greatly if the cream cheese and butter are quite soft beforehand.
- Add confectioners' sugar 1/2 cup at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition.
- Finally, add lime juice and lime zest and beat again until smooth. If the frosting is too soft, add more confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, until frosting is the right stiffness. If it is too stiff, you can add more lime juice a few drops at a time.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!