We just had the loveliest weekend ever. The weather was incredible, and reached unbelievable temperatures which is quite un-Dutch, especially when you have a wedding! Our outfits were absolutely stunning (it’s true!) and a weekend without kids was – though we love them to the bones -let’s say, a blast!
The wedding was like a fairytale, and the whole day was celebrated in the most beautiful hotel of Amsterdam; the Amstel Hotel. From beginning till end (and the end was early morning) was a feast! You can imagine, there is nothing better than a good days rest after a party like that. With good foods and drinks and no kids to take care off. Just me, my man and my kitchen.
We came up with this super tasty tomato ricotta pie, which is easy as hell, but really does the trick (especially when you’re hungover!)
Absolutely worth trying, and even good when eaten cold. (Of course we saved some for the kids!) —Mirjam Leslie-Pringle
- Serves 6
small sheets of puff pastry, or 1 large one (you can buy them in rolls)
Baking tin of approximately 21 cm
hands full of spinach
(full cup) ricotta, or 1 tin as you buy them
medium tomatoes, i used ‘Tasty Tom’s’. Those are full of flavour and colour.
Freshly ground pepper and corse sea salt.
- Preheat the oven at 180C / 390F
- Oil or spray your baking tin and spread the puff pastry to cover it. Make sure the edges overlap, and press down firmly.
- Cut off the edges. I think it looks all right when it’s a bit rough.
- Use a vork to press wholes in the dough.
- Place the tin in the middle of the oven, and bake for about 10/12 minutes, or until the pastry looks golden.
- In the meantime, cut the spinach in narrow strips,
- Dice your garlic,
- And cut the onion in small pieces.
- Heat the olive oil and stir fry the onion and garlic for about 5 minutes, don’t let them get hard, ju
- Add the spinach, and stir fry until the spinach is wilted.
- Pour the spinach-onion mix in a bowl, add the ricotta
- Add thyme and oregano, stir and bring to taste with salt and pepper.
- Take the pastry out the oven, and cover with the ricotta-spinach mix
- Cut the tomatoes into equal slices, and use to cover the pie.
- Sprinkle some thyme and pepper on top and bake for another 20 minutes