In spring, I love stripped-down recipes for seasonal produce. This is a standby of mine—peas, cheese, mint, and a light lemon vinaigrette. Couldn't be simpler, and really refreshing and light.
In spring, I love stripped-down recipes for seasonal produce. This is a standby of mine—peas, cheese, mint, and a light lemon vinaigrette. Couldn't be simpler, and really refreshing and light.—ieatthepeach
Food52 Review: WHO: Ieatthepeach lives in the Bay Area and writes a blog that takes its name from T.S. Eliot.
WHAT: Springtime in a salad.
HOW: Quickly cook fresh green peas in hot water, then toss with fresh mint, a lemony vinaigrette, and lots of Parmesan shavings.
WHY WE LOVE IT: Fresh, green springtime flavors sing with the fuller, richer taste of aged cheese, making for a balanced side dish that won’t overwhelm your main course. Best of all, it's fast—which means a super-seasonal, easy salad is only a pot of boiling water away. —The Editors
Serves: 4 as a side dish
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
pound shelled fresh English peas
splash Water for blanching the peas
dash Salt to taste
to 5 large fresh mint leaves, chopped or chiffonade
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
dash Freshly ground black pepper to taste
cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Lightly salt the water, then add peas, cover, and turn off the heat. Let the peas sit in the water for about 10 minutes, or until they're tender and no longer chalky in the middle. Drain and rinse with cold water, then spread on a paper towel-lined baking sheet to dry. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add peas and mint, and toss to coat. Let sit for 5 minutes, then toss in shaved Parmesan and serve immediately.
- Your Best Recipe with Parmesan Contest Finalist!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Green Stuff
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Recipe