Author Notes: After a lovely trip to the pumpkin patch, we came home with more pumpkin and squash than we could reasonably eat, so I started to get creative. This idea came to me when i read an article on smittenkitchen.com for easy to make pizza. The roasted garlic and sweet paprika really added depth this this dish. This dish has a couple steps, but is actually limited work. —aeisenhowerturnbull
For the Dough
piece Pizza Dough (I used Whole Foods, but you can make your own)
tablespoon Olive Oil
For the toppings
pound of pumpkin (Long Island Cheese, Sugar Pumpkin)
Garlic cloves, unpeeled
tablespoons Sweet Hungarian Paprika
cup Goat Cheese, crumbled
ounces Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
tablespoons Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (F). Pour about a tablespoon of olive oil into a bowl, and place the pizza dough in it. Place in a warm place for about 2-3 hours (depending how cold it is), covered, to rise fully.
- While the dough is rising. Attack your pumpkin, using a heavy knife. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds (put aside for future use!) and cut the pumpkin into manageable pieces. Peel the pieces individually, and place on an oiled cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the pumpkin with sea salt, black pepper and sweet paprika. Add the garlic cloves (unpeeled) to the sheet to roast with the pumpkin.
- Roast for about 45 minutes to an hour, until you can prick them with a fork and get little to no resistance from the flesh. You may need to pull the garlic out earlier, keep an eye on it.
- Meanwhile, chop the red onion in half, and cut into thin strips. Add butter and olive oil to a heavy saucepan, on medium/high heat and drop onions in. Coating in the oil and butter. Let onions cook for about 15-20 minutes, stirring every few minutes or so. add a little more olive oil if it gets too dry. Once caramelized, sprinkle with salt and pepper and set aside.
- While things are roasting, get your cheeses together. Shred the mozzarella with your hands (melts so much better than cutting it), crumble the goat cheese, and grate the Parmesan.
- Once pumpkin is roasted, pull out of the oven, and let cool slightly. It should take about 5-10 minutes to be its easy to work with, cut it into slabs about one inch thick.
- Change the oven temperature to 475 degrees (F), to cook the pizza.
- Grab your dough (it should be risen by now), and lay some flour down on your counter. Use a rolling pin, and roll the dough into whatever shape your pan is, I used a square pan but you can use a traditional pizza pan too. Once stretched out, place the dough on an oiled pan and start assembling!
- Spread a layer of the onion mixture as a base, and lay out the shards of mozzarella and the crumbled goat cheese evenly all over the dough. Then the pumpkin, and sprinkle the grated Parmesan and red pepper flakes (optional).
- Finish with salt, pepper and a final sprinkle of sweet paprika and place in a 475 oven for 10-15 minutes.
- I added a peppery arugula salad to this meal (dressed simply with olive oil, fresh lime juice and salt/pepper). Enjoy!