If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I was born and raised in Germany. Red cabbage like potatoes is a stable in the German diet. Everybody has their special way of preparing it. My American family and friends love mine. This is the first time I have written down this recipe. Using goose or duck fat adds a rich flavor to this dish. The amount of jelly or jam varies depending on the sweetness. If you like to remove the spices after the cabbage has been cooked tie them into a cheese-cloth. I chop the cabbage and the onions into quarter inch pieces.
This recipe tastes better the next day and the day after that. It will provide you with a vegetable for a quick weekday dinner. —Gerlinde de Broekert
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or goose or duck fat
- 1 red cabbage, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onions
- 2-3 apples, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup (or less) apple cider vinegar
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 1'2 teaspoons salt and pepper
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add onions and cabbage and sauté for several minutes. Add about one cup of water and bring to a boil. Add the rest of the ingredients , reduce heat and simmer covered for about 30 minutes, stirring often. I frequently prepare this dish ahead of time .
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Now and Later