If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The cashier at my local grocery said " Oh you're making a pie?" I had a leftover roasted sweet potato and a dream. Spinach, bacon, yams and onions, maple syrup, ricotta and some eggs for a little lift combine into a delicious savory winter pie. I also added some pecans for a little texture. —e_williams
Makes 1 pie
- 1 pie shell
- 1 medium roasted sweet potato or yam
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small clove of garlic(optional)
- 3 strips of bacon
- 2 cups washed, dried, and roughly chopped spinach
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 pinches fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup roasted, coarsely chopped pecans
- Prepare the pie shell according to package directions. Remove from the oven to cool while the filling is prepared, but leave the oven on at 375 degrees.
- First, crisp the slices of bacon to taste. I prefer very crispy. While the bacon cooks, chop the onion and mince the clove of garlic if you are using. When the bacon is done, pour off all but 1 Tablespoon of the bacon fat and saute the onions on low heat for 7-10 minutes, until soft but not burned. Add garlic and saute for another minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Coarsely chop the crispy bacon and the roasted pecans and combine in a separate bowl.
- Peel the cooled, roasted yam and mash with the ricotta, eggs, syrup, and seasonings. Fold in the spinach, cooled onions and garlic, and 3/4 of the bacon-pecan mixture.
- Pour yam mixture into the prepared pie shell, and sprinkle the remaining bacon-pecan mixture over the top of the filling. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes, then check to see if the pie filling has puffed a little and cooked through in the middle. If not, continue to bake for up to 60 minutes, checking at about 7-10 minute intervals.