Author Notes: One of the easiest hors d'oeuvres in the world is grilled baguette. Brush it with a bit of olive oil, and throw it on a grill or grill pan until it's toasty and crunchy. Eat it as is, sprinkle it with herbs and spices, rub it with a clove of raw garlic, or mash avocado onto it. Because I love the combination of something smooth with something crunchy, I decided that the generous amount of smooth avocado here would stand up to two crunchy items - both the grilled bread and mixed nuts toss with smoky spices. —foxeslovelemons
Makes: 12 crostini
cup mixed nuts, roughly chopped
teaspoon chili powder
teaspoon smoked paprika
whole grain baguette, sliced diagonally 1/4-inch thick (about 12 pieces)
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
garlic clove, peeled
ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- In small bowl, stir together nuts, chili powder and paprika.
- Preheat outdoor grill or grill pan for direct grilling over medium heat. Brush both sides of baguette pieces with oil. Grill 30 seconds to 1 minute per side or until lightly browned. Immediately after bread comes off grill, rub 1 side with garlic clove.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon avocado flesh onto each crostini; mash and spread with fork.
- Sprinkle crostini with nut mixture and squeeze lemon juice over crostini. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Avocados
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre