If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: (Inspired by Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup by Kristen at Iowagirleats.com)
At work we actually have something called "Cookie Week," which is delicious, but needs counterbalanced at suppertime. In this soup, savory Italian sausage is paired with slightly sweet butternut squash, and it even has greens to justify that extra bowl, though it's rather filling to begin with. You can find the bags of pre-peeled and chopped butternut squash now, but I find the prep work therapeutic. This recipe works well with about half of a large squash. Reheats wonderfully. —adavis135
pound Italian sausage
yellow onion, chopped
teaspoons Italian seasoning
butternut squash, in 1/2 inch cubes
can of white beans (Great Northern or Cannellini)
cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 or 3
handfuls kale or turnip greens, chopped with ribs removed
piece Parmesan rind (optional)
salt and pepper
- Brown the sausage and chopped onions together in a dutch oven over medium heat. Drain and return to pot.
- Add Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, squash, beans, and broth. Throw in the Parmesan rind if you're using it.
- If necessary, add more broth or water to suit your preferred chunks-to-liquid ratio. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer.
- Simmer on low until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Taste to adjust seasoning, and stir in greens.
- Simmer 5-10 more minutes.
- Serve with grated Parmesan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Pot Meal