Author Notes: Wonderful turnovers in crispy dough -- in this case, fillo dough, so this recipe is easy enough for everyone! —Joan Nathan
- 8-10 ounces blanced spinach, fresh or frozen (thawed and drained well if frozen)
- 1 egg
- 12 ounces Bulgarian feta cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound fillo dough (1 sleeve)
- 1 1/2 cups butter (3 sticks) melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon nigella or black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- To make the filling, pulse the spinach, egg, and feta in a food processor just until the spinach is chopped and the cheese mixed in. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cut the fillo lengthwise into 3 strips and cover with a moist towel to prevent breaking. Take one strip and butter with a pastry brush. Place about 2 teaspoons of filling at the bottom of the strip. Fold to make a triangle and continue folding until the end of the strip (like you fold a flag). Place completed triangle on the prepared baking sheets.
- Repeat with the remaining fillo strips, using the rest of the filling. Reserve any leftover fillo for another use.
- Brush the top of each triangle with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame and nigella seeds. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.