If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: One of my favorite meals as a child was my Nana's "Slop". As a new bride in August of 1968 I asked her for her recipe. As I read it now I have to smile; since she told me to ask the butcher for a meaty soup bone and he would probably GIVE it to me or maybe charge me 10 or 15 cents for it. I make this often in the winter and I love that it has become one of my grandchildren's and my great grandson's favorites. —GiGi26
- 1 1/2 pounds Stewing Meat
- 3 Carrots, sliced
- 2 Stalks of Celery, sliced
- 3 Medium Potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 package frozen vegetables for soup, thawed
- 1 15 oz can tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Pearl Barley
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- These are the exact instructions I was given: Wash and pat the stewing beef dry.
- Place meat and soup bone in a pot, cover with water and add salt and pepper ( go heavy on the pepper).
- Simmer for 2 hours.
- Add the fresh vegetables and barley and cook until almost tender.
- Add the mixed vegetable for soup and can of tomatoes; cook until all vegetbles are tender.
- The last thing she wrote was...... Love and Good Luck, Nana 8-16-1968
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe