If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Cheesy winter squash, pancetta, and fresh herb risotto. —Riley Wofford
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 (3 pound) butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon herbs de provence
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Toss together the butternut squash, olive oil, and herbs de provence on the baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once while cooking, until the squash is tender. Remove from the oven and mash the squash with a fork.
- Bring the chicken broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Cover and keep warm over a low heat. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 4 to 5 minutes, until crispy. Add the shallots and garlic, season with salt and pepper, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened. Add the rice and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until lightly toasted. Add the wine and simmer until completely absorbed into the rice.
- Add ½ cup of chicken broth to the rice and stir for about 2 minutes, until almost completely absorbed. Continue cooking the rice, adding more broth ½ cup at a time and stirring constantly, for 20 to 30 minutes total, until the rice is smooth and creamy. Remove from the heat and stir in the butternut squash, cheese, chives, and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.