Author Notes: My Wife and I emptied our pantry, and fridge of food that is not good for us. We restocked it with wholesome and nourishing ingredients. This recipe is a by product of this new change in our lives. —LHinton
Med. Organic Sweet Potatoes
Med. Yellow Onion, (chopped, reserve 1/4)
Bulb Garlic, (chopped, reserve 1/4)
cup Cup Pineapple, (chopped)
Knob of Ginger, (minced)
ounces Low Sodium Chicken Stock
Bag 31-40U Shrimp (31-40U mean 31-40 Shrimp per pound)
Sea Salt, (to taste)
Black Pepper, (to taste)
tablespoons Coconut Oil, (divided in half)
tablespoons Olive Oil, (divided in half)
Lg. Sage Leaves, (sliced thin, reserve 1/4)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Roast sweet potatoes until tender. When the potatoes are tender, remove skins, (yes, while they are still hot) and roughly chop the potatoes.
- In a pot, over med. heat, 3/4 of the sweat onion, 3/4 of the garlic, and pineapple in half of the olive, and half of the coconut oil (until softened). Using Immersion blender, add sweet potatoes, ginger, and chicken stock (1 cup at a time); until fully incorporated. Reduce heat to low. Season with sea salt, and half of sage leaves.
- ***Note***: If you are using a regular blender, add the onion, garlic, pineapple, sweet potatoes, and ginger; adding chicken stock 1 cup at a time. Return to low heat for 10 minutes. Season with sea salt, and half of sage leaves.
- If you are using a VitaMix Blender, your soup can remain in blender carafe, and will have finished cooking in the blender.
- In a skillet, over med.-high heat; saute remaining onions, and garlic until translucent. Add Shrimp, and remaining sage.
- Cook until opaque. Turn off burner; carry over heat will finish cooking the shrimp.
- Ladle soup in bowl. Float shrimp on top.
- Serve while hot.
- Note: Organic sweet potatoes are very important to this recipe. I say very important because organic sweet potatoes are naturally sweeter than your G.M.O. (Genetically Modified Organisms) sweet potatoes. ALWAYS use fresh spices, herbs, and aromatics. Their flavors really stand out, which will also allow you to reduce the amount of salt used.