If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We love Fish Tacos. We have cooked the fish several different ways and have used different kinds of fish. This time we used Icelandic Cod and chose to fry it in Beer Batter. To augment the delicious flavor of the cod, we chose to bed it in shredded cabbage and cover it with Mango Salsa. Terrific flavor medley; we'll definitely do this often. —Tom and Anita Morgan
Mango Salsa: Makes about 1 cup, could be some left over.
- 1 Ataulfo mango, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup red Bell pepper, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 green jalapeno pepper, chopped small
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, usually ½ lemon
Beer Battered Fish Tacos:
- 6 small sized flour or wheat tortillas
- 1 pound North Atlantic cod fillets, cut into 2” X 1” pieces
- 1/2 small head of cabbage
- 12 ounces bottle of light beer
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- Mix the salsa ingredients in a ceramic, glass or stainless steel bowl. Cover, refrigerate and let age for at least 30 minutes before serving. Let warm to room temperature before serving.
- Warm the tortillas in a tortilla warmer if possible at 175-200*F.
- Pour about 1 ½ inches of peanut oil into a 3 ½ to 5 ½ quart Dutch oven. Insert a candy thermometer into the oil and heat to 375*F.
- Sift 1 ½ cups flour into a large mixing bowl, add a pinch of salt and a pinch of red pepper flakes, then slowly pour in most of the beer until the batter is sticky.
- Pat dry the fish with paper towels then coat with the batter.
- Dredge the battered fish in the remaining flour and place several pieces in the hot oil.
- Cook this batch, turning frequently until golden brown about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Place this batch on a paper towel lined plate in a warming oven set to 175 to 200*F and repeat until all the fish is cooked.
- Shred the cabbage while the fish is frying.
- Place the tortillas on the plates, line with shredded cabbage, then put in a couple of pieces of fish and insert the Mango Salsa liberally on top.