Author Notes: Pancetta can be replaced with bacon, or omitted. Chicken broth can be replaced with veggie broth, to make the recipe vegetarian, and the cheese can be omitted to make it vegan. —madball911
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 14 ounces can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/4" thick slice pancetta, diced small
- dashes hot pepper flakes
- 1 cup chicken broth, approximately
- 1 splash lemon juice
- parmesan cheese, to taste
- Trim the tough stems off the rapini. Blanch for about 5 minutes, then shock in ice water. Drain well - squeeze in paper towels or your hands.
- Saute the pancetta until crispy, then remove to paper towels to drain.
- Add the garlic and pepper flakes to the skillet, saute for a minute.
- Add the broccoli rabe and beans, and toss around for a few minutes to heat through.
- Add chicken broth to taste, depending on whether you want it soupy or dry, and let simmer for a bit. Add in a squeeze or 2 of lemon juice. Top with parmesan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish