If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I live in Italy and my cooking is constantly dictated by whichever tasty ingredient is in season. It's a big "no-no" to use out of season ingredients and I wouldn't be able to find kale in spring or summer, so when Kale is in season my kitchen is in constant tune with various soups, smoothies, and savory grain dishes which incorporate this amazingly rich super food. This just happens to be one (of many) of my favorite kale recipes. This recipe was inspired by Gwyneth Paltrow's "Leftover quinoa, two ways" in her latest cookbook, "It's All Good" and by my good friend and neighbor, Stephany Esposito. This recipe uses grilled chicken, but can be used with grilled salmon or fresh fillets of tuna in a jar (quality tuna fillets are the best). I usually use whatever meat or fish that's leftover from the day before. Making a big pot of quinoa ahead of time and storing it in the fridge is my go-to ingredient for just about anything. Depending on what veggies are in season and what extras are left in the fridge from the night before, I just add it to the quinoa. Buon appetito! —Kelly Warmkessel
mixed red & white quinoa, water, coarse sea salt
- 1 cup Mixed red & white quinoa
- 1 3/4 cups Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Coarse Sea Salt
- Rinse quinoa well. Place in quinoa in the salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Let cook until there is no more liquid, about 13-15 minutes. Remove from heat, put a dry paper towel between the pot an lid, let quinoa sit for 5 minutes, then fluff with fork.
- Place quinoa aside until you prepare second part of recipe.
extra virgen olive oil, 1-2 cloves of garlic, water, kale leaves chopped fine (spine discarded), sun dried tomatoes, cooked mixed quinoa, coarse sea salt, ground black pepper, grilled chicken.
- 3 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 Cloves of garlic finely chopped (depending on your taste)
- 6-8 large kale leaves (spine discarded) finely chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 sun dried tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 cups cooked mixed red & white quinoa
- 1 grilled chicken breast
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1 ground pepper (to taste)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until soft, but not colored. Raise heat to high, add the water and kale and toss to combine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring until all the liquid has evaporated. Add sun dried tomatoes, and toss for about 3 minutes. Add 2 cups of the already prepared quinoa along with grilled chicken. Toss to heat through. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens