I love Kale in every form, but mainly just simply dressed in a salad. When considering the contest, I thought how can I make my simple salad sublime? Kale has already achieved cult level status, so what else can be done? Well, here is an idea for you which combines all of my kale wisdom into one simple salad. I came upon this accidentally when I was experimenting the other night when my dinner guests arrived. What was I to do with the dressing and salad I had just been playing with? There was no time to hide in the pantry and eat it all, which would have been my true inclination….so I threw it all into a zip lock bag, put it in the refrigerator and forgot about it...until the next night. When I unsealed the bag, the aroma and flavor that greeted me convinced me that here is a new way to make my every day kale which hits on all notes. It is simple, your hands don't get dirty, it is not time sensitive, and it is….sublime. —aaCooks
- Makes 2 servings if you share!
Kale, roughly chopped off stem
Cloves Garlic, smashed
Lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Pecorino, pine nuts, or any other embellishments you love
- Throw the anchovy fillets, sea salt and 3 TB olive oil into a Gallon-size Ziploc bag. Seal bag. Mush around until the anchovy dissolves.
- Add the smashed garlic cloves, lemon and Kale. Reseal, pressing out as much air as possible, and then massage the bag for a couple of minutes. If your kids are waiting for dinner, give it to them to play with!
- Place bag into the refrigerator and let sit as long as you can stand it, or up to 3 days if you forget about it. (Not likely!)
- Pour directly into salad bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and whatever additional toppings you like on your kale...pecorino is our favorite, feta cheese, avocados, and toasted pine nuts have all made showings at one point or another. If the salad seems dry, an extra swirl of olive oil never hurt anyone!