If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I absolutely love beans! When I stumbled upon emmycooks' cooking technique for white beans, I finally made the perfekt white beans! Creamy and firm at the same time, and the shells didnt crack my lovely beans into small, mushy pieces. So I made my beans with my favourite veggies and herbs, and my kiddo gobbled it heartily up, popped out of his den to tell me what a nice dinner we had today! Served with beautiful, rustic bread of choice, you can serve your vegan friends, or bring to tapas next day (Tastes better the day after) Or serve with some really spicy meatballs of choice for when your mother and her new boyfriend comes visit! This is a wholesome meal with a lot of the required nutritions. And it turned out to be a real gem when i snook into the fridge for a snack at night….
If you're a beanlover too, check out this website for downright excellent recipes: http://emmycooks.com/2012/03/22/how-to-cook-white-beans/
BEANS N’ STOCK
- 2 cups dried, white beans, soaked over night
- 1 onion, cut in quarters
- 2 tablespoons dried mint
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons nice olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and slized in halves
- 5 sprigs of flat-leaved parsley, chopped with stems
- 6 kale leaves, discard stems, cut in1 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
DRESSING (and garnish)
- 1 large handful of finely chopped leaved parsley
- 1 small handful of finely chopped fresh mint
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemonjuice
- 3 tablespoons beanstock from cooking
- 1-2 tablespoons virgin oliveoil (High in acidity makes lovely flavour)
- garnish: Maldon salt (or other really good salt)
- garnish: Pine nuts
- garnish: Lemon quarters, for squeesing
- In a pot, cover beans with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil.
- Turn down heat to a simmer, add all ingredients for beans and stock – except kale and salt.
- When beans start to get tender, (about 45 min or so), add salt. Cook until beans are creamy and done. take pot of heat, add kale strips, cool down 20-30 min before draining the stock.
- Drain beans, keep the flavorful and nutritious stock for other soups and pots.
- Add all dressing ingredients, toss the beans until all flavors blend. Taste for more beanstock, salt or lemonjuice.
- Garnish with pine nuts, lemon quarters and som Maldonsalt on top, serve lukewarm with some really good, rustic bread or some foccacia. Also tastes excellent served cold the next day for tapas or a party, as the flavors settles nicely over night in the fridge.