If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone - Braised Chard. I make it weekly with my own twist. (no garlic, cilantro, olive oil or paprika) I add brown mushrooms and a couple of tablespoons of pre-bought olive, caper and pepper tapenade from Whole Foods. I tend to double the recipe and use leftovers in omelettes or quesadillas. You can also make this recipe with other leafy greens. Here is the original recipe:
Braised Chard With Cilantro
2 large bunches chard, about 2 pounds, leaves sliced into 1 inch wide ribbons
1 1/2 cups of the chard stems, trimmed and diced
1 onion, finely diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp Paprika
1 garlic clove, minced
Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Rainbow Swiss Chard, trimmed and diced (Buy 2 bunches)
- 3 tablespoons Olive, Caper and Pepper Tapenade (Whole Foods)
- 10-12 Chopped Brown Mushrooms
- DIRECTIONS Place all ingredients in a wide, heavy pot with a few pinches of salt. Add 1/4 cup water, cover tightly and cook over low heat for 45 minutes. Check once or twice to make sure there is enough moisture. If anything is sticking, add a few tablespoons of water. The chard should be silky and very fragrant.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens