If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A warm and comforting side.... —inpatskitchen
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 bunch coarsely chopped curly kale (about 10 loosely packed cups)
- 6 medium red skin potatoes peeled and diced into 3/4 inch cubes (about 5 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, halved lengthwise and then thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half, divided
- About 10 gratings of nutmeg (maybe 1/4+ teaspoon?)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3/4 cup finely grated swiss cheese (I used Emmental)
- In a large pot, lightly steam the kale in about 1/4 cup water until the volume reduces to about one third of its original volume. Drain and then pat dry with paper toweling. Set aside.
- Simmer the potatoes until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the shallots and anchovy paste. Saute until the shallots wilt.
- Sprinkle in the flour and cook briefly to get rid of the floury taste. While whisking, slowly add 1 1/2 cups of the half and half and continue to whisk over the heat until the sauce thickens.
- Combine the sauce with the potatoes and kale and pour the mixture into a shallow baking pan and pour the remaining half and half over.
- Pre heat the oven to 425F. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the casserole and bake, uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes until the top begins to brown and the edges start to bubble.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Green Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dark, Leafy Greens