If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: People tend to over-think risotto when all it really needs is a little care and a bit of butter. I'm a firm believer that risotto should be made on the stove-top and not in the oven, it's that 30 minutes of standing over it, assisting the rice release the starch that gives it that creamy and smooth consistency. This risotto is made with fresh cod, clams and scallops, but depending on the season you can tweak these with what's available. The cod can be replaced with any white fish, or salmon for that matter, and shellfish would make a nice addition in the absence of clams. —Gabriella Simonian
white onion, diced
grams risotto rice
milliliters dry white wine
liters vegetable stock
grams skinless, boneless cod loins or fillets, cut into chunks
grams garden peas, fresh or frozen
grams clams, washed
sprigs parsley, roughly chopped
sprigs dill, roughly chopped
tablespoons olive oil
grams Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil with a knob of butter and add the onion. Cook on a medium heat until softened but not browned, around 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir, then pour in the wine. Once the wine has cooked down start to add the stock by the ladle full. Stir the rice often to prevent sticking and to help release the starch.
- About 2/3 of the way through adding the stock, add the cod pieces and continue to cook the risotto as before. Then when you have around 250ml of stock left add the peas.
- Once you’ve finished adding all of the stock the risotto should be cooked, creamy but not runny, and slightly al dente. Stir in 100g grated pecorino, a handful of parsley and dill, a bit of butter and season to taste with black pepper and salt if needs be.
- Add the clams on top of the rice, cover the pan and leave on the side to steam. Meanwhile prepare the scallops by sautéing in a pan with some olive oil, about 1 minute on each side.
- Serve the risotto topped with scallops, freshly grated pecorino cheese and fresh herbs.