If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The weather here in northern California has turned cold again. So we decided to make our favorite Garlic Roast Chicken with Roasted Root Vegetables. Basically we have been cooking this dish for at least twenty years; but like all of our recipes, it has evolved and improved with time. This latest rendition is extremely tasty, healthy and relatively low calory. It is comfort food at it's finest and on a cold wintery day, brings warmth to the body, mind and spirit. —Tom and Anita Morgan
Serves 4 or more
For the chicken:
- 1 large organic chicken of about 5 pounds
- 3 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil (enough to make a paste)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
For the veggies:
- 5 large carrots, scrubbed with skin on, cut to 2 inch lengths
- 1 large turnip, skinned and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large parsnip, skinned and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 6 large Brussels sprouts, bottoms and outer leaves removed
- 4 medium red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- olive oil spray
- dried granulated garlic
- several pinches red pepper flakes
- Cut chicken in half, place on cooking rack in tray and cover with rub made from the olive oil, garlic, pepper and basil.
- Cut vegetables as specified above. Place in an oven proof baking dish and spray lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with dried garlic and red pepper flakes. Then toss until completely coated.
- Put chicken and vegetables in a 350*F oven and cook chicken for 1 1/4 hours or until chicken internal temperature reaches 160*F. Fork test the vegetables and remove and serve if they are done to your satisfaction.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken