If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is my one of my go to dishes when I have a crowd. It is pretty simple and the results look impressive with flavour to match. Enjoy! —Bake Bellissima
For the Chicken Breast
- 6 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
For the Spinach Filling
- 1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- Using a meat mallet, flatten the halved chicken breasts between 2 sheets of parchment to a uniform chicness and season each side with salt and pepper. You can do this step in advance and reserve the chicken in the fridge.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and the butter over medium heat in a sauté pan. When hot, add the minced onion and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the stove and cool for approximately 5 minutes. Add the egg to the spinach mixture as well as the breadcrumbs.
- Take a chicken cutlet and add a teaspoon of filling to the centre. Roll the cutlet and hold in place with 1-2 toothpicks. (Tip: make sure they are not flavoured or you may end up with minty chicken!) Continue with the rest of the chicken.
- Dip the rolled cutlets first in the seasoned flour, then the egg and lastly into the breadbrumbs.
- Fry in the vegetable oil over moderate heat. Once the chicken is cooked, the joint will seal and you can remove the toothpicks. You do not want to brown the chicken too quickly so that it will have time to cook through.
- You can serve the dish with good quality marinara sauce. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Chicken