I’ve combined some of my favorite ingredients into a no-bake snack bar that is seriously addicting. Cashews provide a delicate crunch, medjool dates add just the right amount of sweetness, coconut oil is the binder and coconut butter…well, coconut butter is my new favorite ingredient. Don’t tell anyone, but I eat it straight from the jar with a spoon. It’s a thick purée made from the entire coconut and if you’ve never tried it you are seriously missing out. Toasted coconut is the final key ingredient that gives these snacks their signature flavor. Make these bars now and thank me later. —Jennifer Farley | Savory Simple
- Makes 8 bars
unsweetened shredded coconut
medjool dates, pitted
plus 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Spread the coconut evenly across a baking sheet and toast in the oven for 3 minutes. Stir well and then cook for another 2 minutes, or until golden and fragrant.
- Set the toasted coconut aside and use the same baking sheet to toast the cashews for an additional 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the coconut, cashews, dates, cinnamon, and salt into a food processor.
- Pulse the ingredients until they’re crumb-sized (a few larger pieces are fine).
- Add the coconut butter and 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil to the food processor and continue pulsing until the mixture begins to clump. If it seems dry, add another 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch brownie pan with parchment paper, allowing two sides to hang over the side of the pan. Dab a bit of coconut oil on the brownie pan to help the parchment stick to the two longer sides. Press the mixture into the pan, using a piece of plastic wrap to help flatten the mixture evenly. Freeze the mixture for 15 to 20 minutes and then slice the bars into 8 pieces.
- Wrap the bars individually and store in the refrigerator or freezer. (I personally like them frozen!)