If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe was inspired by a banana flax pancake recipe I found on Spark Recipes years ago. I always found that the pancakes were a bit too dense, but since my partner likes the flavour so much I continued to make them for him anyway. This past weekend I decided to overhaul the recipe to see if they would make a better waffle than a pancake and they came out great! I have made the pancakes with vegetable oil and with butter in the past, so if you don't like coconut oil I would imagine the waffles would work out fine with either of those as well. These will also work with just white flour if that is all you have.
We had ours with whipped cream, blueberries, and maple syrup as our garnish, but I think they would work with a hazelnut spread or peanut butter and maple syrup as well. —Catherine
Makes 4-5 large waffles
- 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 3/4 cup White Flour
- 1/2 cup Ground Flax Seed
- 3 tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 4 tablespoons Coconut Oil, melted
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 lg Eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 pureed bananas (comes out to around 1 to 1-1/4 cups)
- Whisk together the flours, corn starch, baking powder, flax seed, brown sugar, salt in a medium bowl.
- Blend or mash the banana with the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add the oil. Stir until just combined. Cook according to the instructions for your waffle iron.