If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A wholesome, 4-ingredient DIY grenadine for better drinks at home -- plus a gutsy technique for juicing a pomegranate without seeding first. (Wear an apron -- or wear black -- to be safe from stains, but this juicing technique is surprisingly contained.) Stir it into sparkling water (along with a splash of lemon and lime juice for a DIY Shirley Temple), pour it over ice cream and yogurt and cake, explore your bar. This recipe halves well. Adapted slightly from mixologist and blogger Jeffrey Morgenthaler. —Genius Recipes
Makes: about 1 quart
cups fresh pomegranate juice (two to four large pomegranates) or 100% pomegranate juice like POM Wonderful
cups unbleached sugar
fluid ounces (1/4 cup) pomegranate molasses
teaspoon orange blossom water
- If you are using fresh pomegranates, slice them in half and press the juice out using a citrus juicer. Strain juice, crushing any unbroken arils with the back of a spoon. Alternately, you can seed the pomegranate, then blend the seeds in your blender and strain out the juice.
- Heat the pomegranate juice over low heat, just enough to melt the sugar (well below the level of a boil). Stir in the sugar until the mixture is clear and the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the pomegranate molasses and orange blossom water and stir until dissolved.
- Allow the mixture to cool and transfer to a bottle for storing in the refrigerator. If you won't be using within about a month, you can optionally add an ounce of vodka, or freeze the syrup.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!