Author Notes: I, like everyone else, love mashed potatoes, but I'm always looking for ways to lighten them up. I often add cauliflower, but broccoli provides a smoother texture and a beautiful color that pairs beautifully with lighter chicken and fish. —Savour
pounds Yukon Gold Potatoes
ounces broccoli florets
Meyer Lemon, zested
tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Peel the potatoes and place them, whole in cold water in a large pan. Add a generous pinch of salt and place over high heat.
- Once the potato water is boiling, wash the broccoli florets and place in a steamer basket over the potatoes and cover (you can use a strainer that fits into your pan -- it's OK if some steam escapes.)
- Steam the broccoli until tender - 3-6 minutes. Remove from heat. Continue to cook the potatoes until tender -- 30-40 minutes. Drain, reserving some of the water.
- Place the broccoli in a bowl and using an immersion blender, puree the broccoli until it's mostly smooth. (You can also do this in a food processor).
- Mash the potatoes using a potato masher. Add broccoli puree and butter, continue mashing. Mash and add reserved potato water until your potatoes are the texture you like. Taste for salt.
- Add parmesan and lemon zest and mix well. Season to taste.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mashed Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Beef Stew
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish