If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: They look modest but their strength is the explosion of flavors: sweet yellow peppers filled with salted anchovies and capers, a slice of fresh tomato, slowly oven-roasted in olive oil and a touch of butter. Such an elementary taste does not even need salt or pepper.
I have been baking this appetizer for more than two decades and I have no clue where did I get the recipe from. It certainly has a strong Italian character, but I cannot tell, if I got the recipe from a friend, I read it on a food magazine – in pre-internet times - and whether I had added my own modification or not.
Yet, what I can claim for sure is that this works only with yellow bell peppers, because they are the sweetest of all.
large yellow bell peppers
anchovy fillets in olive oil
medium tomato cut in thin slices
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven in 180 Celsius or in 365 Fahrenheit.
- Wash peppers and cut them following the ‘natural’ marking: each pepper usually cuts into three boat pieces.
- Remove stem, seeds and white membrane and place them in a baking tray.
- Fill each pepper 'boat' with one tomato slice, an anchovy fillet and 3-4 capers
- Drizzle with the olive oil and add a tiny piece of butter in the middle of each pepper wedge.
- Cover the tray bottom with water.
- Put the tray in the middle of the oven and roast for 50-60 minutes.
- It's ready when the peppers have kind of collapsed and their edges have some brown spots.
- Remove tray from oven, arrange peppers on a plate and drizzle with 3-4 tablespoon tray juices.
- Let the peppers cool in room temperatures for at least one hour.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Anchovies