If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Velouté is always a very creamy and smooth soup. For this recipe I used broccoli mixed with carrot and leek that I cooked in a vegetable stock. To make it very smooth I added milk and cream and used a liquidiser. Sprinkle some Fleur de Sel on the soup, it really enhances all the flavor. —Babette's Feast
- 1 head of brocoli
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and cut in pieces
- 1 small sweet onion cut in pieces
- 1/2 leek - only the white part
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- white pepper
- Fleur de Sel for garnish
- Wash and prepare all the vegetables cut up in small pieces.
- In a pot melt the butter. Sweat the onion, add the broccoli, carrot, garlic and leek, mix, allow to sweat for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable stock, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the milk and simmer over low heat another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and put in a liquidiser. Add salt and fresh ground white pepper and process until competely smooth. Check the seasoning.
- Pour the soup through a medium strainer and press with the back of a laddle so any fibers from the leek or onion remain in strainer so the soup is very smooth. Check the seasoning and re-heat over low heat.
- Whip up the cream. When ready to serve, whisk in the whipped cream, reserving 4 teaspoons for decoration.
- Serve hot, sprinkle with a bit of Fleur de sel over each bowl and a teaspoon of whipped cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Broccoli/Broccoli Rabe Dish