If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was first married I tried out a cold zucchini soup--it was delicious but both my husband and I felt it needed a kick and a crunch. Next time I added some curry for the kick and, for the crunch, some blanched, julienned zucchini (to each bowl before serving) --have never looked back... —Veronica
Serves: 1 1/2 quarts
medium zucchini, julienned and blanched for 1 minute
medium zucchini, coarsely chopped or sliced
medium yellow onions, coarsely chopped
tablespoons good curry powder
quart homemade or organic chicken broth
cup cream (light, medium heavy--your choice)
ground white pepper
salt to taste
- Over low heat, melt the butter in a large saucepan and add the chopped onions and chopped/sliced zucchini. Stir, then cover and let "sweat" for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid, add the curry powder and gently cook (while stirring to avoid scorching the curry powder) for about 2 minutes. Then slowly pour in the chicken broth, stirring as you go. Bring to a boil and then back down to a gentle simmer--simmer for a good 20 minutes or until the zucchini and onions are very soft, even mushy.
- Remove saucepan from the heat and let cool for about 20 minutes or much longer--no more cooking involved. If you're in a hurry, rest the saucepan in a big stainless steel bowl 1/3 full of ice and stir the zucchini/onion/broth until cool.
- Pour the mixture into a blender (not a food processor) and puree until absolutely smooth. Add the cream, blend to combine and refrigerate. Wait to do the final seasoning until serving time--curry, like garlic, intensifies when cold so let the soup rest a bit before adding more if you're so inclined!
- Have chilled serving bowls ready, taste soup to see if you want more curry or salt, grind in some white pepper. Ladle soup into each bowl and liberally garnish with that julienned, blanched other zucchini!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Zucchini or Summer Squash Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cold Soup