For the bread
tablespoons (6 oz) softened butter
slices of thick-cut, white bread
large oranges, zested and juiced
lemon, zested and juiced
cup superfine sugar
For the custard
milliliters (12 fl oz) milk
tablespoons superfine sugar
tablespoons light cream
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and generously butter a large baking dish (about 2 litres) with some of the butter.
- Cut the crusts off of the bread then butter and spread with marmalade. Cut each slice into 4 triangles.
- In a small bowl stir together the orange juice, orange zest, lemon juice, lemon zest and sugar until the sugar has dissolved.
- Soak each triangle of bread in the syrup and arrange in the baking dish until it's completely full.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar and cream. Pour this over the bread triangles in the dish. Spoon over any remaining syrup.
- Bake pudding for 30 minutes until browned and crisp on top.