If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This red vegetable spread is a great way to bring vegetables into breakfast as a sweet rather than savory accompaniment. This vegetable spread was inspired by Maija Garcia of Organic Magnetics, a lovely lady I sat next to on a bus during a recent trip to the East Coast of the USA. —sabrina
- 1/4 of one beet
- 2 sticks of rhubarb
- 1 large carrot
- 1 teaspoon berberis
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon rose water extract
- 1 tablespoon 100% vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon agar agar
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Cut two sticks of rhubarbs into small cubes and place in a pan with beets, filtered water and maple sugar
- Place over medium heat until the rhubarb breaks down and then add vanilla extract and rose water to mixture
- Cut carrot into small pieces and place in a roasting pan
- Cook for 30 minutes or until soft. During the last 5 minutes of roasting add maple syrup
- Blend all ingredients in a high powered blender until smooth
- Let cool then place mixture back into a pot and add agar agar and place over medium heat and let simmer for 3 minutes, then stir occasionally for the last 2 minutes
- Pour in a jar and cool in the refrigerator for 4 hours or until it sets
- Enjoy for breakfast or as a snack. It tastes great on tiger bread [pictured]