If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A "froached egg" is something my mom always made for us growing up, which is a cross between a fried and poached egg. You start out by frying it in a little oil or butter, and once the whites are set on the bottom, you add water to the frying pan, then quickly cover it, for one minute. This way you have the lovely taste of a fried egg, but not the hassle of having to flip it over. The egg whites are done through but the yolk is still nice and runny!
This comes together in less than 20 minutes tops! It's such a tasty, satisfying breakfast on any day with little work. But why stop at breakfast, you could have this for lunch or dinner too! —anotherfoodieblogger
- 1 cup frozen shredded hash browns
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Paprika, ground black pepper, and salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- A large handful of fresh spinach
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- A pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 egg
- More ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/8 cup water
- Spray oil, as needed
- Start off by adding the frozen hash browns to a glass measuring cup to the one cup line (give or take). Add the butter on top then microwave for one minute. Add the paprika, pepper, and salt to taste and mix
- Add the teaspoon of olive oil to a medium-hot skillet and plop the hash browns onto it and smoosh it down with a spatula and make it pretty and round, or so. Cook it until nice and crisp on the bottom until it holds its shape. Once it is crisp enough on the bottom to flip, spray some olive oil on the top of it, then flip it over with a wide spatula. Cook until crispy on that side, then remove to a plate and tent with a piece of foil to keep warm.
- Spritz the pan with more olive oil and throw in a really large handful of fresh spinach. Squeeze some lemon juice over it and then cook it until wilted. Add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. Once the spinach is all wilted, spoon it on top of your hash browns patty and re-tent with the foil.
- Spray a bit more olive oil into the pan, and gently crack an egg into it and grind a whole bunch of black pepper over it.
- Cook until the egg white is is solid all the way through and the edges of the whites start to sizzle. Now pour the 1/8 cup of water all around the edges of the egg, then immediately put a tight-fitting lid on the skillet. Let it “steam” for one minute exactly. Do not peek. Do not pass go. At the one minute mark, lift up the lid and you should see a fine example of a “froached” egg. Now take a slotted spatula and lift the egg out of the pan to drain a bit, then place on the hash browns and spinach stack.
- Grab your utensils and cut into the egg and watch mesmerized as the yellow runny yolk spreads its goodness down the stack. EAT IT NOW!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Favorite Way to Eat Eggs for Dinner
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe