If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My daughter is in first grade and she is totally reading like a boss. We have broadened our horizon in literature as well (See ya later Dick and Jane, wouldn’t wanna be ya!) and we are having quite a fun time with Dr. Seuss lately, the first book I could read when I was little was “One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish”, so of course she would have access to all the greats. My daughter told me the other day that she thought green eggs and ham would be “gross”. So in my usual style I put that to the test with this recipe…maybe not totally a “recipe” as it is more of a guideline to do your own thing, for example eggs can be replaced with tofu, and ham can be substituted with my mushroom bacon recipe here. Honestly I think we all need to add more vegetables to our meals, why not start with breakfast? This is easy, fun, and you don’t need any gross food color additives to create a bit of whimsy with your meals, I even served ours with star fruit slices to pay homage to “The Sneeches”. —Alexandra V. Jones
- 2 eggs, get the best one’s you can, totally worth the extra $1. Or sub with half a block of firm tofu, crumbled.
- 1 cup blanched broccoli florets, chopped fine. Or use another green veggie you like, spinach, zucchini, etc.
- 1 shallot, minced.
- 2 teaspoons rendered pancetta fat, this is what I used, you can also use oil, butter, whatever you like.
- 2 slices pancetta, or bacon, or ham, or even beets would be fun
- 1 tablespoon Pesto, any variety you like as long as it green in color.
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 2 slices, rustic Italian bread, toasted just before serving.
- Cook pancetta, or whatever your “Ham” du jour is. Set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat oil or rendered fat over medium high heat, add shallots, sauté 3 minutes, add broccoli, cook 2 more minutes, add whipped eggs, or tofu.
- Scramble together, and add pesto, combine to achieve green shade as desired, add half the parsley remove from heat.
- Top each slice of toast with eggs and ham, sprinkle with parsley serve with star fruit and eat! Totally a fun way to start the day or end it! If it’s good enough for “Sam I am” it’s good enough for me! Yum!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
More Great Recipes:
Breakfast & Brunch